Thread: [SOLVED] ZA firewall and AVIRA anti virus.

Question [SOLVED] ZA firewall and AVIRA anti virus.

Hey! First off, not sure if i'm in the right section (sorry!)

I am running win 8.1, and have used for years Avira anti virus (free) and ZA free firewall, as i found them to be very good for the purposes. I recently upgraded to win8.1 and as i always do installed both ZA and Anti vir.

The problem i came across (and has since made me uninstall ZA ) is that Anti vir when i have ZA running has the umbrella guard down saying i have no firewall running (so i have to make sure i'm actually protected etc...) While ZA is ofc running.

I did try to google, and came across somethings with ZA and anti vir having problems working together (not sure on what side)

Is there any way, or fix to have these running alongside each other in harmony as i have always liked the security of both Anti vir and Zonealarm.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section!

Default Re: ZA firewall and AVIRA anti virus.

Hello;

Hello;

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer it's Software and what type and Version of Zone Alarm that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Right click the ZA icon near the clock --> About --> Copy to Clipboard --> Paste in a reply here. Remember to remove the license key (if applicable).

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.

Also;

1.) There is now two versions of the Zone Alarm Free Firewall
    a.) Basic Free Firewall ONLY
    b.) Free Firewall + Anti-Virus (Not-Compatible with any other Anti-Virus)

Hey GeorgeV, sorry! Currently i don't have ZA installed as i uninstalled it a few weeks ago due this (tried to figure it out, but couldn't)

If it's any help, i used just the free firewall of ZA and had the free version of Anti VIR. I had used this combination for years on my Windows XP set up. On Windows 8.1 these problems arose, it felt like Anti VIR just wasn't recognising ZA or that i had a firewall (when i enabled Windows firewall, the umbrella rose up and said i was protected)

I liked the security of Anti VIR and ZA (Asking permission for all programs passing through my system) I think it would have been nearly the latest version of both with it being only a few weeks since i gave up and uninstalled.

I was tempted to ask on the VIR forum, but thought i might have been told to just change my firewall, but i find ZA to be very good over the years rather than say, Microsoft firewall (never trusted it personally! )

Thank you for your reply though, and apologies for being vague!

Well, i found a way around this to have ZA working with AVIRA. For anyone that needs this to work, the way to make this work is in AVIRA do this:

Go to Start → Control Panel → Programs → Programs and Features, click with the right mouse button on the installed Avira product (e.g. Avira Free Antivirus) and select "Change".

The Avira wizard starts with the preselected option "Modify".
    Confirm your selection by clicking "Next" until the wizard offers the installation of the components. Select the components you want to install or uninstall.
    Uncheck the "Firewall" option.

By clicking "Next" the setup runs the required changes.
    The change installation is complete after a reboot of the computer.

Thread Information