Thread: [SOLVED] ZA's Scan Stuck In Endless Loop --> Clean install

Hybrid View

Default [SOLVED] ZA's Scan Stuck In Endless Loop --> Clean install

I am using a paid subscription to ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite, release is 13.1.211.000. My OS is Windows 7, 64-bit.

Every time that I boot up, ZA launches the antivirus/antispyware scan (it seems to be a Quick Scan) but the process seems to get stuck somewhere and the scan never ends. Clicking on the Cancel button does not stop the scan either. I basically ignore the whole situation and use the PC normally and then shut it down. But the next time that I boot up, ZA automatically starts the antivirus/antispyware scan again!

Two questions:
    1) What is the name of the process in Task Manager that I have to terminate in order to stop the scan?
    2) Does anyone know why this endless loop is happening and how to fix things? I have already reinstalled ZA Internet Security Suite but that did not solve the problem. (I'm thinking that I might have to find a way to completely uninstall ZA and then do a fresh install but I don't know how to do it...)

Thanks.

Default Re: ZA's Scan Stuck In Endless Loop

Hello;

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

When Zone Alarm with Anti-Virus is First installed, it must be allowed to Complete a full Scan to make sure that you computer is not infected.. this is by design..

If you interrupt this scan or any scheduled scan, then the next time you Boot your computer by default ZA will start the Quick Scan that was not allowed to finish..

You can Schedule the Scan and Antivirus Definition updates in the Antivirus /Settings section.. however, if you schedule updates longer than hourly, then the next update will take longer to download due to the cumulative size of the file downloaded..

Next, if you can not live with the default features and want to use task manger to shut down some ZA Function (and Corrupt ZA or make if less effective in protecting you computer,, then it is BETTER for you to Uninstall Zone alarm and either switch to ZA BASIC Free Firewall without Antivirus, or choose some other Firewall product that you can keep Fully updated.

Here is how to insure a Clean Install..

The instruction for a clean install are below

1. Download the latest ZA 13 (2015) version http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...10&action=view
    <== click here

2. Remove your current ZA version (in XP use Windows add/remove programs/Windows 7/8 Uninstall a program)

3. Remove other security tools installed. Use http://www.appremover.com/ to double check no left overs are present.

4. Clean your system and registry with the Free Ccleaner.exe
    free ccleaner <= click here

5. Download to your desktop and run the ZA removal tool, <= click here
    now reboot computer after running ZA Removal tool.

6. Now Install the latest ZA version without touching any default settings,
    and Do Not Restore Saved Settings from the old install.

Let us know how you have managed to resolve the issue. It will help other users with the same problem.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Hello;

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

When Zone Alarm with Anti-Virus is First installed, it must be allowed to Complete a full Scan to make sure that you computer is not infected.. this is by design..

If you interrupt this scan or any scheduled scan, then the next time you Boot your computer by default ZA will start the Quick Scan that was not allowed to finish..

You can Schedule the Scan and Antivirus Definition updates in the Antivirus /Settings section.. however, if you schedule updates longer than hourly, then the next update will take longer to download due to the cumulative size of the file downloaded..

Next, if you can not live with the default features and want to use task manger to shut down some ZA Function (and Corrupt ZA or make if less effective in protecting you computer,, then it is BETTER for you to Uninstall Zone alarm and either switch to ZA BASIC Free Firewall without Antivirus, or choose some other Firewall product that you can keep Fully updated.

Here is how to insure a Clean Install..

The instruction for a clean install are below

1. Download the latest ZA 13 (2015) version http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...10&action=view
    <== click here

2. Remove your current ZA version (in XP use Windows add/remove programs/Windows 7/8 Uninstall a program)

3. Remove other security tools installed. Use http://www.appremover.com/ to double check no left overs are present.

4. Clean your system and registry with the Free Ccleaner.exe
    free ccleaner <= click here

5. Download to your desktop and run the ZA removal tool, <= click here
    now reboot computer after running ZA Removal tool.

6. Now Install the latest ZA version without touching any default settings,
    and Do Not Restore Saved Settings from the old install.

Let us know how you have managed to resolve the issue. It will help other users with the same problem.
    Thanks, George. Your solutions seems to work.

I have a follow-up question: When installing ZA Internet Security Suite, the installer asked for my email address so that ZA could keep me informed of special offers etc., etc. I would like to change that email address. Where is it stored? I cannot find it anywhere...

Thank you for taking the time to report back about how you resolved the issue.

Go to ZA tools--> preferences --> push on change registration or register. In there you can change your e-mail and optin/optout to ZA info.

As your issue is resolved, I will revised the thread tile and closing it.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information