Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Host process for windows services was prevented from changing the settings of ZA v12

Default Host process for windows services was prevented from changing the settings of ZA v12

I have wifi issues since upgrading to ZA ES 2015 and I keep getting the following message from ZA:

host process for windows services was prevented from changing the settings of zone alarm extreme security by modifying the registry key HKCS\SERVICES\VSDATANT

Please advise if someone has a solution

Many thanks
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; May 14th, 2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: updated title to be accurate, issue is not specific to wifi or ethernet

Default Re: Wi-fi issues with message: host process for windows services was prevented from c

Sounds like a bad upgrade. Go to ZA Tools --> Preferences --> Reset to default. Reboot the PC. You will loose all of your custom settings. Do not change any default and check now if you still have the problem.

Also note that there may be instances where the OS tries to access ZA services, this can be normal. ZA anti-tampering protection simply do not allow access to its processes. Normally you do not get any pop-up window about it unless you have altered the log options in ZA.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; May 10th, 2014 at 10:58 PM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Sky Soldiers Guest

Default Re: Wi-fi issues with message: host process for windows services was prevented from c

By default, all Firewall events are recorded in the Log Viewer.

Go to Tools > Logs > Log Viewer > Select Log Type > OSFirewall

See what action was Logged there.You can click the Tab at the bottom right." More Info "

SmartDefense Advisor will provide information on Alert.

You might want take a look at the following information if it applies to you.

What you should do:

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/in...id/71898_1.htm

See also OSFirewall alerts:

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/in...paid/38811.htm

Could you also provide from the following link the information requested & paste it here so users can better understand & address your issue:

https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/sho...660#post300660
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; April 13th, 2014 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Added 2nd link, Provide paste info

Sky Soldiers Guest

Check the following.

Application Control > Settings > View Programs

Make sure Host Process for Windows Services.(svchost.exe) System > Trust Level Super Three green bars & green check marks all the way across the board.

If this is not the case.Corrupt database.Follow what suggest here Reset to Defaults.

https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/sho...750#post300750
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; April 14th, 2014 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Typo

Hi,

I followed the tab "more info" from one of the blocked log entries and have been forwarded to

http://osalerts.zonealarm.com/osanal...7&tab=overview

but the message does not really help.

1) I don't know which program (part) finally makes this access

2) I can not allow or permit. There are no buttons. The message will go automatically away after a few seconds.

More or less I don't know what has changed from ZA 12 to ZA 13/13.1 that I get this error message on my Windows 8 laptop and Windows 7 PC.

I only know that when I start the mobile access on my laptop and after entering my password for this access, then I get the warning 2 times. Also when I stop the access I get the message 2 times again.

On my Windows 7 PC I also get it from time to time. Maybe I get it more often when I listen to internet radio. I have to take a look on it for the next days.

I never had the problem with ZA 12 anywhere.

Has anyone tried the "Reset to default"? Will it help? Note: I never changed the default settings anywhere so ...

Thanks

As already said this can be perfectly normal, nothing to worry about. Just ZA doing is job and not allowing audit or access to its components. Why in ZA12 you did not see this? Probably because the new version is more stringent in its anti tampering controls.

Relax, sit down and enjoy using your PC protected by ZA.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; May 11th, 2014 at 02:46 AM.

Angry Again: Host Process for Windows Services was prevented from changing the settings of

~snip~

It just happens permanently on my PC with Windows 7 - also the network will go offline when the message comes up and online when the message goes away - I did nothing special also nothing special is running.

I also tried 3 RealNetwork drivers but there is no difference.

I also tried to reset to default - no help.

I'm sorry - but ZA 13.0 - 13.1 is horrible to use when this warning permanently comes up.

~snip~
    Last edited by fax; May 14th, 2014 at 08:37 AM. Reason: offtopic

Moved the post to the existing thread.

Sorry probably there is a misunderstading. We have already answered to your question just above your posts and note that by default your should not get any pop-up warning unless you have changed the ZA log settings. If you keep getting pop-ups even after a reset then either the reset did not work or ZA has no proper access to your HD/registry to make the necessary changes.

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Also note that there may be instances where the OS tries to access ZA services, this can be normal. ZA anti-tampering protection simply do not allow access to its processes. Normally you do not get any pop-up window about it unless you have altered the log options in ZA.
    Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    As already said this can be perfectly normal, nothing to worry about. Just ZA doing is job and not allowing audit or access to its components. Why in ZA12 you did not see this? Probably because the new version is more stringent in its anti tampering controls.
    ~~snip~~

Thank you in advance for your support and understanding.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; May 20th, 2014 at 04:06 PM. Reason: further clarification to edited message

ZoneAlarm is now aware of the issue and development is working on identifying the cause then it will be fixed in a later release.

Support and Forum gurus do not have any ETA when a fix will be available.

When it is fixed a new version will be posted and the description of the fix will be included in the release history of the new version.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Default Registry Key error message since update

I installed the update to v. 13.1.211.000 yesterday and now every time I log on or off my network, I get this message;
    "Host process for Windows Services was prevented from changing the settings of ZoneAlarm AntiVirus by modifying the registry key HKCS\SERVICES\VSDATANT"

How do I stop this?
    Last edited by GeorgeV; May 23rd, 2014 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Please read Moderators post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information