Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Slows down when downloading

Default PC Slows down when downloading

Hello,

I have using ZoneAlarm for the last 5 years… I currently work with Zone Alarm Extreme Security (13.0.208.000).

For the past few month I have notice that my computer crawl when I downloading from the internet, this is mostly happens when downloading Torrents and sometimes when I watch HD clips in YouTube.

Researching the problem I did few things –

1. I tried that with Windows 7 and with Windows 8.1, same result.
    2. Monitoring the Task Manager when downloading I notice that uTorrent and the download manager (Akamai) I was using was not listed as the bandwidth consumer, instead the TrueVector Service was the consumer for the combine bandwidth. So shutting down Zone Alarm and… the computer is fast again. Also now uTorrent and Akamai is listed for the bandwidth consumer.

So, what should I do?

I love Zone Alarm and don’t want to switch, what I need to configure so Zone Alarm stop slow down my computer?

Thanks!

here are the screenshot from the task manager-
    before.jpg
    after.jpg

Default Re: PC Slows down when downloading

Pretty normal if you have constant flow of data such as torrent or P2P programs. See this support KB.

ZoneAlarm is using a lot of CPU or memory resources

Please note we are at 31.1, downloads here:
    Looking for the latest version?

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

I have updated to the latest version.
    how do i disable Zone Alarm from scanning all traffic?

I am not aware of other ways to disable the filtering of traffic than turning completely OFF the advanced firewall in the antivirus&firewall section of ZA.

Sorry,
    Fax

Try going into the antivirus advanced settings -> premium protections and disabling the Web Monitoring. Then close and restart the downloader or refresh the youtube window and they should work like a charm.

Sometimes it happens to me too with Steam, the Blizzard downloader or YT and this workaround fixes the problem for me.
    Remember to re-enable the monitoring once you've finished!

This may be true for youtube issues not torrent. Also consider that the majority of streaming issues were fixed with the latest version 13.1. Have you tried it? As at the time you were experiencing that issue you were running an old version.... let us know!

Also its important to install ZA clean. i.e. fully remove previous version before installing the new and also use the clean.exe.

Thanks,
    Fax

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    This may be true for youtube issues not torrent. Also consider that the majority of streaming issues were fixed with the latest version 13.1. Have you tried it? As at the time you were experiencing that issue you were running an old version.... let us know!

Also its important to install ZA clean. i.e. fully remove previous version before installing the new and also use the clean.exe.

Thanks,
    Fax
    I don't know for programs like bittorrent and such because I don't use them, but for sure disabling it solves the issue with Steam and the Blizzard downloader (which has a p2p component afaik), at least for me.

I'm running the latest version, but did an upgrade and not a clean install (will do next time). Anyway I wasn't complaining about the software, just sharing a workaround hoping to help the OP before he switched off the whole firewall

indeed better than turning OFF the entire firewall... worth a try... thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sper64 View Post
    Try going into the antivirus advanced settings -> premium protections and disabling the Web Monitoring. Then close and restart the downloader or refresh the youtube window and they should work like a charm.

Sometimes it happens to me too with Steam, the Blizzard downloader or YT and this workaround fixes the problem for me.
    Remember to re-enable the monitoring once you've finished!
    Thanks for this hint.

Since the update to
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 13.1.211.000
    ZoneAlarm license key: XXXXX
    Vsmon version: 13.1.211.0
    Driver version: 13.1.123.0
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.4.4
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1154488864
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4973

I have not been able to download from Steam. The older versions were never in the way before. And I certainly did not like turning it off to get the downloads going.

ZA: request to you - teach your monitor that whatever it is that steam is doing is okay.

p.s. I might have turned it on this time - I make no claim or assumption that Web Monitoring is a default - only that it blocks Steam downloads - completely - That was certainly not my intent.

p.p.s. If I have to assemble a diagram every time I post/preview a post, I won't be back.

Quote Originally Posted by mamfelt View Post
    Thanks for this hint.

Since the update to
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 13.1.211.000

ZA: request to you - teach your monitor that whatever it is that steam is doing is okay.

p.s. I might have turned it on this time - I make no claim or assumption that Web Monitoring is a default - only that it blocks Steam downloads - completely - That was certainly not my intent.

p.p.s. If I have to assemble a diagram every time I post/preview a post, I won't be back.
    Hello,

The following is our reason for having to "assemble a diagram",

After we switched to one of the most popular forum platforms "Vbulletin" you also get more people who try to hack and find loop holes.

Similar to why Windows has so many more viruses/malware created specifically for that OS when compared to the Mac.

So people are always hammering away trying to find way to do thing and we had individuals who where using scripts or bots or something to bog down our server with lots of repetitive searches

So we had to put "reCaptcha" in place as a road block for Hackers.

Sorry its annoying at times

Last edited by GeorgeV; June 23rd, 2014 at 04:29 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information