Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Solved] Something is stealing my bandwidth < keep away from gaming sites

Unhappy [Solved] Something is stealing my bandwidth < keep away from gaming sites

When I first had this problem it was a week ago, I went onto a computer help forum and tried asking for help there. Here is the link here, so if you read it you will get an idea of what is going on. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...-of-bandwidth/

Had done many many scans with lots of programs including Kaspersky full internet security, malware bytes the full version and adwcleaner, JRT the list goes on. Though I think I have removed some of the malware I am still having this same problem but now it is not as bad as it was at the start. At first it was draining my internet at a fast rate I have a bandwidth meter I had been monitoring and at first whatever this was it was doing it at extremely fast pace. I think since installing the free version of zone alarm firewall it has slowed it down though not completely blocked it just has slowed it down.

When I check my bandwidth meter and see it sucking up my bandwidth again I just go into advantaged settings on zone alarm fire wall and I click on block public servers and it stops it right away but at the same time it stops my internet from working altogether. I then un-tick block public servers so I can use the internet I check my bandwidth meter and whatever this thing is it has stopped sucking up the bandwidth, then about 20 minutes later it comes back. I can't stop it, I have been trying for over a week now to fix this problem.

I am 100 percent sure it is not someone stealing my wireless as I don't have wireless at all and my bandwidth meter is saying it's my computer's network that is using the bandwidth.

Default Re: Something is stealing my bandwidth

Sorry this is a forum to deal with ZA product related issues not a generic forum for help on security or networking issues. You will probably need to post on bleepingcomputer networking section or other sections.

Unless you know how to use forensic utilities like TechNet Process Explorer and TCP View then you can try to understand which process is using your bandwidth.

Otherwise I would fully reset and format your system, reset-reflash your router and install OS with all updates and nothing else.

Sorry no other suggestion to give you.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Sky Soldiers Guest

Reading your Farbar Recovery Scan Tool logs at bleepingcomputer.It shows you were using KIS 2013 which includes a firewall.If this is the case.One Firewall only.Did you remove KIS using their removal tool before installing ZoneAlarm.You should use default settings at install.

Using other resident security products will conflict with your ZoneAlarm product and could result in technical or performance problems.

Troubleshooting tools :

You can use TCP/IP networking utility to displays active TCP connections: Netstat : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ff961504.aspx

TCPView : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb897437

Utility to displays running processes. ProcessExplorer from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx

If not behind router doing Network Address Translation (NAT).

Using a single, non-networked PC, the traffic source list displays only your ISP’s (Internet Service Provider’s) network, which should be in the Public Zone, Doing ipconfig /all will confirm if this is the case.
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; March 16th, 2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Typo

I really don't want to reformat my harddrive it's going to cause me so much stress and hassle if I have to do this. I now suspect that my computer has been hacked into yes I am using kaspersky 2013 I put zone alarm on my computer because I think that my computer has been hacked into and they are using my computer as a zombie stealing my bandwidth at a very very fast pace.

I went through nearly 80 GB this month that is very very unusual. I have 2 bandwidth meters on my computer so that I can see when they are stealing my bandwidth. The only way I can use my computer to be able to ask for help is by putting it into restore mode from a earlier time before this drama happened and I just keep creating new restore points. I did a reboot after installing zone alarm basic firewall and they uninstalled it on my computer.

Or does zone alarm uninstall itself if you have a anti virus with a firewall? They also put on a new program on my computer after doing this reboot one I had never seen before that wanted to change my homepage, but manage to uninstall it. When I did have zone alarm on here I did notice that they could still steal my bandwidth but at a much slower pace. If someone could please help me.I have spent over a week trying to fix this and have spent many hours working on it in total and still unable to get rid of it. It is sucking my bandwidth meter at a crazy fast pace according to my bandwidth meter. I will and follow some advice from the above poster but if anyone thinks they can help try and help thanks.
    Last edited by Charz; March 16th, 2014 at 11:57 PM.

Sorry as already mentioned this is all what we can say about the issue. If you do not want to reset everything then you will have to troubleshoot your PC issue alone of with the support of others (as indicated above).

Sorry again,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by Charz View Post
    I really don't want to reformat my harddrive it's going to cause me so much stress and hassle if I have to do this. I now suspect that my computer has been hacked into yes I am using kaspersky 2013 I put zone alarm on my computer because I think that my computer has been hacked into and they are using my computer as a zombie stealing my bandwidth at a very very fast pace.

if anyone thinks they can help try and help thanks.
    Hello;

I agree with Guru Fax;

Cut to the chase now and bite the bullet.

Format the hard drive re-install the OS from scratch (don't install the new OS over the damaged OS.)

Use Windows update to download and install ALL critical and non-critical updates along with ALL optional updates.

*** NOTICE: Please note that ZA Free + AV, ZA Pro + AV, ZASS and ZA Extreme Security do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if they are disabled).

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP/Win7/Win8 add/remove software tool in the control panel.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just One, Not Two -- Never use two Anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP/Win7/Win8 add/remove software tool in the control panel.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Never had to do this over a virus before but will try a few more things today that may fix it, if they don't work I am going to get someone I know who can reformate my harddrive and will reinstall windows which I have the disks for. Thanks for your help all. Just one thing before I do reformate my harddrive will this get rid of the virus all together? I want to be 100 percent sure because I don't want to get the harddrive reformatted only to find it is still on there afterwards. It is a very very stubborn virus/malware and NOTHING will get rid of it, it just keeps booting up everytime I boot up my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Charz View Post
    Never had to do this over a virus before but will try a few more things today that may fix it, if they don't work I am going to get someone I know who can reformate my harddrive and will reinstall windows which I have the disks for. Thanks for your help all. Just one thing before I do reformate my harddrive will this get rid of the virus all together? I want to be 100 percent sure because I don't want to get the harddrive reformatted only to find it is still on there afterwards. It is a very very stubborn virus/malware and NOTHING will get rid of it, it just keeps booting up everytime I boot up my computer.
    AhhhG! there is the Rub..

Reforming the Hard drive and Fresh install of Windows OS, plus all of the Microsoft Updates and Reboot the computer should leave you with a fresh clean computer free of the virus..

the problem you will have is when you try to re-install Backed up program or DATA..

anything that you made a backup of to DVD's or External Hard drive may still be infected and could Re-infect your computer.. :-(

good luck...
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

I have 2 external harddrives a 500 GB one and a 320 GB. The 500 GB one has been plugged into the computer so I will put all of my back up on the 320 one. How do I fix my 500 GB harddrive so it can be used again?
    Last edited by Charz; March 17th, 2014 at 10:08 PM.

UPDATE: Had the harddrive formatted and a clean install of windows OS and the virus has been completely wiped out. Worse thing I have had on my computer took away all of my internet data for the month and cost me money. Got the virus from dodgy gaming sites, possible a program called Tunngle. My advice for anyone that has this same issue, run malwarebytes and your anti virus in safe mode if it can't get rid of it, your stuffed and the best thing is to do a fresh install of the OS. Thanks for help guys. PS whatever this thing was it was bad news things kept getting worse for me. It had corrupted many feature on Kaspersky like my firewall pop up blockwe ect corrupted it so it could no longer do updates as well as running up a expensive bill on my internet bill. It's bad news and very hard to get rid of best thing I could do was a fresh install of windows now it's gone and I will be careful on what I view and download in the future. Have gotten rid of plenty of malware and viruses before but nothing like this.
    Last edited by Charz; March 21st, 2014 at 05:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information