Thread: [SOLVED] Find my Laptop wont initialize --> Clean install of ZA with updated OS

Unhappy [SOLVED] Find my Laptop wont initialize --> Clean install of ZA with updated OS

Hi, I wonder if someone can offer me some help please. I have a Win7 (Home Permium SP1) Laptop and have ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 13.0.208.000 installed and working happily apart from Find my laptop. On the settings page it is listed as "Available but not activated" and as you can see from the attached screenshot when I click Activate I get a message that "Find my laptop service is still initializing, please try again later" and this has been the case for over a week now. I cant find any info regarding this issue anywhere so am hoping someone on the forums can assist me.

Many thanks

Craig
    Findmylaptop.jpg

Default Re: Find my Laptop wont initialize

Sounds like a possible conflicts with other software running on the system or a bad install of ZA Extreme.
    As we are at ZA version 13.1 you may want to try to do a clean install. This way:

1. Download the latest ZA 13.1 version http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...10&action=view<== click here

2. Remove your current ZA version (in XP use Windows add/remove programs/Windows 7/8 Uninstall a program)

3. Remove other security tools installed. Use http://www.appremover.com/ to double check no left overs are present.

4. Clean your system and registry with the Free Ccleaner.exe
    free ccleaner <= click here

5. Download to your desktop and run the ZA removal tool, <= click here
    now reboot computer after running ZA Removal tool.

6. Now Install the latest ZA version without touching any default settings,
    and Do Not Restore Saved Settings from the old install.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

HI

Thanks for a prompt response. I will download and install the latest version, but just a little more info for you. The laptop was rebuild last week with a fresh copy of win 7 installed onto a new, empty hard drive, I have no other security products installed, and I hadnt yet gotten round to changing any settings within ZA other than the integrated online backup to restore my Doc/pic libraries etc. I selected Auto-learn on install and have left it at that.

I shall however, do as you suggest as I am open to suggestions due to the fact I cant get it working myself and I shall reply back shortly with hopefully some good news.

Thanks

Craig

Thanks! Then we need to concentrate on whatever was installed that is not normally part of a standard fresh install of the OS. Was it really a a fresh install of win7 in the standard C:/ drive?

Do you have different users created in the system?

Did you fully update win7 with all patches and MS updates before installing ZA? If not, please do so before reinstalling ZA.

If all was default, updated and clean then it can only be a bad install of ZA. Unless ZA was never installed on that system and we are confronted with a low level conflit between ZA and the hardware.

Thumbs up Re: Find my Laptop wont initialize

Hello again,

I am happy to report it is now working. it was indeed a clean, fresh install of Win 7 onto a brand new HDD, but as you mentioned in your last message, I had installed ZA early on after the OS install had finished as I like to have some protection as soon as possible, therefore it was well before all the updates had finished (There were lots)

It is obviously upto date now and the removal and re-install procedure as per your instructions has worked first time and I can happily "find my laptop" and send my girlfriend annoying messages from my phone later when she is using the laptop for her daily candy crush fix.

It is a feature I hopefully will never use in real life, but it was annoying me that I couldnt get it to work when I wanted.

Many thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated

Thanks again

Craig
    Last edited by craig159; May 14th, 2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: typo

Great to hear you managed to solve the problem! And thank you for taking the time to report back on how you did it.
    [ Lol about messages from your phone...]

I will revise the title of the thread to hint to the solution and closing it as the problem is solved.

Please do not hesitate to open a new thread for any other ZA product issues you may have.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; May 14th, 2014 at 08:51 AM.

Thread Information