Thread: Setting after update tot newest ZA Free + AV version

Default Setting after update tot newest ZA Free + AV version

After having installed the latest update this morning, I cannot block Trusted and Public Servers in Firewall advanced settings.
    If I checkmark this, internet is not working. If I uncheck them, everythings works okay.

But I'm pretty shure that before the Update I had that options 'block trusted / public servers checkmarked..

Anyone an idea?

Default Re: Setting after update tot newest ZA Free + AV version

Hi!
    First of all regardless if before was working or not (probably your previous ZA was broken?), do you understand what is happening if you select this option in the firewall advanced settings? You block any software in your PC to receive communications from your own PC and the internet.

You basically look for troubles and the problems that this can cause are not proportional to the minimal additional security you may achieve.

ZA is designed to protect you from the unknown and/or untrusted and not to block your OS or trusted applications. A basic security principle you should try to follow is: if you do not want a software to connect to the internet you should not install it in the first place. Keep it simple since if you start modifying settings without knowing the consequences you can actually facilitate the work of viruses and malware.

Also malware infection will not be blocked by your setup but by keeping your system fully up to date (e.g. upgrade your OS if you are still running XP), update regularly your adobe flash and java (if you use them) and mind to read carefully any pop-up of ZA before allowing it (this is assuming you are on default settings).

For maximising your security without breaking your PC you can read this thread: https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/sho...at-I-should-do some of the suggestions will not apply to the free version.

thanks,
    fax
    If you still want to have those blocks in ZA active then I am afraid I cannot give any suggestion on how not to break your communications.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Hi Fax,
    thanks for your clear and helpful reply, it's just exactly what I wanted to hear 'cause I was not shure about this settings on or off.
    thanks, have a nice weekend,
    gr Ivo

You're are welcome!

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information