Thread: Free firewall is blocking some of my programs - Corrupted user settings

Unhappy Free firewall is blocking some of my programs - Corrupted user settings

Hello forum members. New user here.

I have this moment a pretty irregular problem with the free version, that is somewhat beyond my knowledge to deal.

I'm trying setting up a static ip and open ports for my applications and games, so they can connect or allowing incoming connections.

My ip and router firewall are set up correctly and for years I have always meant, that allowing my programs in the program list under Application control, is enough for connections to pass through. It before has worked great for me that way.

But I noticed the other day that ZA is still blocking my programs anyway, despite they are permitted fully access for both ingoing and outgoing. Only if I put Public Zone to medium, I finally get access and with a Port Checker Tool I could see my ports open. (The Checker Tool was also permitted access)
    By this, I am likely very sure that ZA is my right now headache and not my other stuff.

I then read here it could be due my user settings had gone corrupted. I just made a fully reset - reset back to dafault settings, uninstalled ZA through Control Panel and I also ran the removal tool to fully start on new.

It seems to have helped a lot now, some program like my port checker tool having access now, but there are a few programs that still suddenly does not get through, even they are permitted fully access. I still have to put the Public Zone to medium before things works correctly. Resetting ZA again does not seem to work. Now I'm not sure what to do.

I know this isn't a support hotline, but maybe you guys have some clues what to try next.

I have read stickies and searched the forum.

The technical part of my post.
    ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 13.2.015.000
    (Pretty much everything is set to their defaults)
    Vsmon version: 13.2.15.0
    Driver version: 13.1.123.0

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
    Desktop PC

Other Security program installed:
    Avast! Free Antivirus 2014
    Spybot 1.8
    Spyware Blaster
    Malwarebytes AntiMalware

Default Re: Free firewall is blocking some of my programs - Corrupted user settings

Rather difficult to troubleshoot. You will need to start clean of third party security tools (if you want to troubleshoot the problem). First remove all security software in the system (i.e. Avast! Free Antivirus 2014
    , Spybot 1.8, Spyware Blaster, Malwarebytes Antimalware).

Then fully remove ZA and install only ZA+AV free as detailed below:

1. Download the latest ZA 13 (2015) version http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...10&action=view <== click here
    (choose the free ZA + AV)

2. Remove your current ZA version (in XP use Windows add/remove programs/Windows 7/8 Uninstall a program)

3. Remove other security tools installed. Use http://www.appremover.com/ to double check no left overs are present.

4. Clean your system and registry with the Free Ccleaner.exe
    free ccleaner <= click here

5. Download to your desktop and run the ZA removal tool, <= click here
    now reboot computer after running ZA Removal tool.

6. Now Install the latest ZA version without touching any default settings,
    and Do Not Restore Saved Settings from the old install.

Now test the system for sometime at defaults to see if you have the same problem. If not, one of the security tools you are using is conflicting with ZA.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: Free firewall is blocking some of my programs - Corrupted user settings

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Rather difficult to troubleshoot. You will need to start clean of third party security tools (if you want to troubleshoot the problem). First remove all security software in the system (i.e. Avast! Free Antivirus 2014
    , Spybot 1.8, Spyware Blaster, Malwarebytes Antimalware).

Then fully remove ZA and install only ZA+AV free as detailed below:

1. Download the latest ZA 13 (2015) version http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...10&action=view <== click here
    (choose the free ZA + AV)

2. Remove your current ZA version (in XP use Windows add/remove programs/Windows 7/8 Uninstall a program)

3. Remove other security tools installed. Use http://www.appremover.com/ to double check no left overs are present.

4. Clean your system and registry with the Free Ccleaner.exe
    free ccleaner <= click here

5. Download to your desktop and run the ZA removal tool, <= click here
    now reboot computer after running ZA Removal tool.

6. Now Install the latest ZA version without touching any default settings,
    and Do Not Restore Saved Settings from the old install.

Now test the system for sometime at defaults to see if you have the same problem. If not, one of the security tools you are using is conflicting with ZA.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Hi fax. Thanks for your detailed guide. Will try that out soon and later report back how it went. Thanks

You're welcome and let us know how it goes...

Okay, I managed wipe out all my security programs, deleted all leftover folders I could find and all entries CCleaner could find, with no errors.

Now I'm back online with ZA Free AV & Firewall installed and unfortunately have to say I'm a bit back at start.

Neither my programs/games and my port checker tool is now getting access, and even though I then tick them to allow access....nope.
    Again, lowering public zone is the only thing that helps.

I can see in the firewall log, incoming IPs are blocked by ZA, in this case it's other players that trying to reach my hosted games I'm making and trying to get working.
    But the applications I use, are certainly permitted access in Application Control Settings now.

How the zones are setup? Is your DHCP set up as trusted?
    Is the Trusted Zone set to MEDIUM? Have you tried to add the IPs blocked to the ZA trusted zone? Is windows firewall really OFF?

Did ZA ever worked before?
    Last edited by fax; June 8th, 2014 at 02:10 PM.

How the zones are setup? Is your DHCP set up as trusted?
    Would say it is. Here's some screenshots

http://billedeupload.dk/images/z73FM.png
    http://billedeupload.dk/images/DmzT.png

Is the Trusted Zone set to MEDIUM?
    Yes.
    Have you tried to add the IPs blocked to the ZA trusted zone?
    I could, but quite difficult since each and mostly random users trying to connect has different ip. I see a lot of different IP's.
    Is windows firewall really OFF?
    Yes.

Did ZA ever worked before?
    It has worked before on this particular system I'm using, but somewhat long time since I last checked and knew it did worked, a year back or so.

All seems fine... as I see you are anyway behind the firewall of the router (facing the internet) and not ZA, lowering the public zone to MEDIUM has a very minor impact on security. I would go for that. Considering that you tried ZA sometime ago and that ZA does not support sort of "server" type of installations, I am afraid ZA seems not to support your setup. Otherwise you can just try another free firewall.

Sorry,
    Fax

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    All seems fine... as I see you are anyway behind the firewall of the router (facing the internet) and not ZA, lowering the public zone to MEDIUM has a very minor impact on security. I would go for that. Considering that you tried ZA sometime ago and that ZA does not support sort of "server" type of installations, I am afraid ZA seems not to support your setup. Otherwise you can just try another free firewall.

Sorry,
    Fax
    I had my guessing to go with either those ways you mention. It also has crossed my mind as last workaround, try pick up another firewall.

Well, I just gave two other free products a run, and none of them have let me down so far!

I've also tried another thing.
    I know I'm not supposed to do this and just did for very quick experimenting, I downloaded and installed an old 2012 build (11.0.000.020) of ZA Free firewall + AV.
    That thing surprising also worked well for me, at the high public setting.

I simply guess that Check Point broke something in recent releases, that then won't play on my pc. :/

I'll end this thread with some bit more info about my rig, in case for any usefulness to someone. Then I've decided continue on with a rival product!

fax, thanks for come by my thread and for your help. You da man!

My rig:
    Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe V2 - Intel i7 920
    Router: Zyxel P-2601HN-F
    Connection type: Wired
    Windows 7 Ultimate - SP1
    Affected applications; PFPortChecker tool, Steam.

I am glad to hear you found a solution that works for your system. As you have moved on to other software than ZA I will soon close this thread as the problem does not apply anymore.

Thank again and good luck.

Thread Information