Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone Alarm Extreme Security - Postgresql issues.

Default Zone Alarm Extreme Security - Postgresql issues.

To whom it may concern,

Up until about 3 days ago I was using an older version of ZA-ES and was happy with it - but three days ago the application forced me to upgrade to the latest version.

The issue I am having is when the update was completed to the new version, connections to postgresql became extremely slow - and difficult to work with for pgadmin 3.

So with that, I thought what the heck - its been 3 years since my last clean format of my OS and brought everything up to the latest versions.

So I have just performed a clean installation of Windows 7 Ultimate - with SP1 and all microsoft updates, and re-installed everything - everything was working correctly, including the pgadmin3 and postgresql.

the final software I have installed - is ZA-ES - via the web downloader and now the connection via pgAdmin is not working/or extremely slow.

My ZA about is below
    ===============

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 13.1.211.000
    ZoneAlarm license key: <removed>
    Vsmon version: 13.1.211.0
    Driver version: 13.1.123.0
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.4.4
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1154841152
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4973

===============

The details - there is little to be found on Google about ZA and Postgre except that they seem to not like each other at all....

What I have tried to do:

===============
    http://www.clarion-software.com/inde...597239&group=1

SOLUTION:

The solution was to go into the "Firewall | Zones" tab of Zone Alarm and add a Local Host entry with an IP of 127.0.0.1"

but this did not work

===============

I also tried going to the application control and selecting "PostgreSQL Server"->options

- enabled this program may use other programs to access the internet
    - allow application interaction

i also added an expert rule adding any protocol, port etc

===============

I did the above for pgAdmin3 as well....

would someone please be able to make some suggestions that might help me resolve this extremely slow connection to the database?

Thanks heaps in advance.

Default Re: Zone Alarm Extreme Security - Postgresql issues.

Also to add to this - what I have noticed is that now EVERYTHING is slow

when i go to my computer and double click on a drive - it seems to take forever to bring up folder lists on drives.

Hi!

sorry all users here, no ZA staff or official support. If you have a valid license you can contact, free of charge, the official ZA technical support at the link in my signature. Once at the main ZA support website look for the "contact us" link. Please mind the opening hours to be served on the spot.

My impression is that due to the error SQL server, support may not be of help as ZA home products do not support server type of setups. So, you may have been lucky before if it was working.

Let us know if you find a solution to the problem (other than removing ZA) as it may help other users browsing this forum for the same issue.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thank you for the reply Mr Fax (Guru)

I tried contacting tech support but they closed on me being in the Australian time zone - made a suggestion that didnt work and shrugged their shoulders...

so they are not much help.

The setup is not a server as such - its a development platform - all final code is pushed up to the servers after development... but no development is being done because of connection issues to the database at the moment

If anyone else has some suggestions i would be appreciative

i have 99 days left of valid key. I am very surprised by this for Zone Alarm, I have used ZA since the year 2000-2001 and this is the first time i have ever had an issue that could not be resolved in some way or other people have not been able to help.

i dont know why the latest installation would have slowed down the entire PC...its very odd and a bit disturbing

i have 12GB of ram with an I7 quad core ....

hopefully someone else can help...
    Last edited by fax; June 28th, 2014 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spaces

I am afraid its unlikely other user here will be able to help due to the specificity of the software. But you never know

No other suggestions from here apart from moving on to other solutions supporting your setup once the license has expired.

Its important that you communicate with ZA official support that what suggested did not work to have a minimum chance that this is escalated to development. No report no chance of a fix. If you can't chat with support you can still post offline messages.

Thanks,
    Fax

Mr Fax

Thank you for your reply again

I will try and get into contact in the morning (maybe the Americans will be on then) but this problem has gotten much worse i tried restarting the service for postgresql and its not even responding in a "timely fashion" where as before i installed zone alarm it would do it straight away.....

im off to bed
    Last edited by fax; June 28th, 2014 at 10:05 PM. Reason: spaces

Quote Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
    Thank you for the reply Mr Fax (Guru)

hopefully someone else can help...
    Hello;

I agree with Guru Fax,

It is very unlikely ( but worth a try) that other users of "Postgresql" just by chance would be reading the ZA Forum anytime soon and see your post here in the Zone Alarm Forum..

You may have a Better Chance of Finding help Contacting the Postgresql Support site finding other users of Postgresql and Zone Alarm..

http://www.postgresql.org/support/

Please Let us know if you find a solution to the problem (other than removing ZA) as it may help other users browsing this forum for the same issue.

Regards;
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Sorry several posts had to be removed. There is no use to post all the chronology of your chat with support. It is also against terms of service of this board and it is not helpful for other users having the same problem.

To summarise for other readers here the OP has been requested logs from ZA and support will send this to the ZA development team.

If development find an issue and this is fixable then it may be released in future ZA versions.

Sorry no ETA if and when this will be fixed. Other Offtopic remarks will be removed without further notice. Please stick to the issue and post here if you get any news on your problem.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; June 22nd, 2014 at 03:04 AM.

Hello,

Your correct in your original posting that there is a history of compatibility issues with ZA and Postgresql. There is even a thread on this with version 12 of ZA.

There are also other posts on the Internet suggesting Postgresql has problem with many security software vendors and the recommendation for a machine running Postgresql is that the compatible security environment is Windows firewall and Windows Defender.

Since Postgresql is an open source Database system this is something that your ordinary home PC user does download and install on there Home PC that ZoneAlarm is designed for.

It very well sounds like a compatibility issue with the latest version of ZA and Postgresql.

Even if a bug was entered the likely hood of a fix for 1-2 users who use Postgresql and ZA would be very slight. Just for the fact our software is marketed to and designed for Home PC's users and not PC's running a DB or DB design or DB servers.

My suggestion would be to go back to the version that was working for you if you can run that and you may have to find a security solution that is designed for DB systems.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Thank you for your replies

This problem - as I have found goes beyond the 'original post' scope - its not just about Postgre its about the whole computer slowing down...when ZA is installed on a fresh installation

when I did an uninstall - with a clean.exe all the problem went away including the start menu and postgresql issues

the whole system started working again at high speeds...

and trust me, my computer has enough resources 12GB of ram 3.60ghz i7 quad core

The reason why I posted the help desk logs is to show that with a real problem - i have been left high and dry - they have taken my money and im left without any security or compensation.

Forget the Postgresql issues(and/or development) - This was a clean install of windows 7 ultimate, with sp1 and all of windows updates, there should be no issues of system degradation like what I have seen - i understand there would be some minor degradation, granted, but not to the level i have been experiencing.

a basic windows installation which any tom, richard or harry would have...on a new computer.

I would have loved to have gone back to the version i was except that the whole reason I got into this mess was because the software said it refused to work until i upgraded to the latest version.

this is not a db system - it is a normal PC machine, with database software installed on it for development purposes, it has no heavy loads except when video editing, it has nothing special that the average pc out there would have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information