Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zone Alarm Extreme Security - Postgresql issues.

Default Re: Zone Alarm Extreme Security - Postgresql issues.

If the main issue is not the specific program then you should investigate what is slowing down your system as clean WIN7 problems are checked by default on each new version.
    Also, you can imaging that if this was a general problem you should see this forum flooded by posts. This is not the case.

Have you tried to boot your PC only with WIN7 standard components and ZA? This way:

1. Click the Windows 7 "Start" ->
    2. Type MSCONFIG in the search box and click OK
    3. Once in MSCONFIG , click the ServiceTab
    4. Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    5. Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet Monitor, ZoneAlarm Privacy Service, and any other services from Zonealarm (e.g. antitheft service, etc).
    6. Click the Startup Tab,
    7. Order by publisher and disable all items except items from Microsoft and Checkpoint.
    8. Restart your computer

Now test if the issue persist. If it doesn't go back to MSCONFIG and check back the disabled items by group of 4 or 5. Start from the service tab and then move to the startup. This may help to find the culprit.

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

i will do this later tonight, or early tomorrow and report back with my findings...

There has been a delay in trying this because of real life issues but this morning is the first opportunity to attempt it. I turned off all my servers and startups as requested (except for those stated) and everything was running smoothly one by one i turned on the servers and restarted and NO issues (including postgreql - although the connect is a little slow im sure firewall configuration might resolve that but it was untested) slowly i have started turning on startups

the missing start menu started happening again when i turned on

"Readtek hd audio manager"
    "hd audio background process"
    "bluetooth software"

so im just trying to find out which one right now is the cause of it - the audio drivers or the bluetooth

======
    EDIT: surprise surprise, i have isolated it down to the bluetooth

here is a screenshot of my system startup
    http://i.imgur.com/mTRYje6.png

i will turn on my additional start ups and provide information. Also it has something to do with the adobe software - i enabled that and it went back to being chronically slow.
    sadly i cannot do anything about that until after the 1st of next month because i have been capped to a speed of 256KB until then. so i will report back when i know more but i will keep checking this thread incase someone replies
    Last edited by fax; June 28th, 2014 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spaces and merging multiple posts

Good to see you have identified some potential issues. I have edit your posts for multiple spaces and merged multiple posts. This will help to maintain the thread short and easier for readers to follow. I am afraid but sounds like your system is somehow corrupted or not working correctly due to drivers (?) or software installed (?). In fact, Adobe acrobat is a widely used software and has no issue with ZA. The other drivers are also pretty standard and do not cause problems to ZA. Also I am not sure why you need a suite to deal with your Bluetooth. It should be enough the Atheros drivers and using the native windows 7 software.

You may want to try to fully remove and reinstall the corrupted software (possibly up to date versions) but I have the impression that only a fresh reinstall of the system may solve your problem. I am sure you are not ready for this extreme approach then, alternatively, you can still move to another security tool when your ZA will expire.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; June 28th, 2014 at 10:23 PM.

Good to see you have identified some potential issues. I have edit your posts for multiple spaces and merged multiple posts. This will help to maintain the thread short and easier for readers to follow. I am afraid but sounds like your system is somehow corrupted or not working correctly due to drivers (?) or software installed (?). In fact, Adobe acrobat is a widely used software and has no issue with ZA. The other drivers are also pretty standard and do not cause problems to ZA. Also I am not sure why you need a suite to deal with your Bluetooth. It should be enough the Atheros drivers and using the native windows 7 software.

You may want to try to fully remove and reinstall the corrupted software (possibly up to date versions) but I have the impression that only a fresh reinstall of the system may solve your problem. I am sure you are not ready for this extreme approach then, alternatively, you can still move to another security tool when your ZA will expire.

I politely have to disagree with you...

This system IS a clean install of Windows.

This is my DRP (cut down version)

Format
    Install Windows
    Install Motherboard drivers
    Install Service Packs (SP1)
    Install Updates
    Install software packages.
    Install Patches
    Install Zone Alarm

There is no conflict and this is what has been working, in fact when Zone Alarm is not installed - the system goes smoothly - so clearly its not an issue with my hardware.

The suite installed is from the motherboard driver installation.

I am going to wait until after the 30th so i can manually install the patches for Adobe and that may fix some issues.

Sorry, I may have misunderstood your previous post in which you seem to state that only with OS and ZA you do not experience slowdowns. However, as soon as you add more third party drivers/components to the boot then you have a problem. Is this not anymore the case? If not, then I would try to understand what has been changed as compared to your previous setup.

If this is still the case, you have to identify exactly which third party component is conflicting. As already mentioned, ZA is unlikely having a problem with Adobe as I would otherwise expect hundreds of complaints here since Adobe Acrobat is installed on a large majority of the PCs out there

Thanks,
    Fax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information