Thread: Fake Amazon e-mail

Hybrid View

Default Fake Amazon e-mail

For the last two days I have received e-mail from 'Amazon', on a letter-head that for all intents and purposes looks like the real thing.
    "Dear Sir, your item has been dispatched, please use the following link to track your order". I deleted the message, as I had not ordered anything from Amazon.
    The second message was the same, and I had a closer look at it.
    It was duplicated to dozens of e-mail addresses similar to mine.
    There was a .zip file attached that ZA picked up when I clicked on it.
    ZA did not stop the initial mail getting through, so any suggestions how to stop this happening again would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    N

Default Re: Fake Amazon e-mail

What you describe is a rather normal scenario. Which version of ZA are you using? Right click the ZA icon near the clock --> about --> copy to clipboard --> paste it in a reply. Remove the license key if applicable.

Which software your are using for downloading e-mails? Normally this comes with spam filtering capability like outlook.

Which mail provider are you using? Normally also providers offers spam filtering capability. If not, please ask them.

Finally please note that amazon never send you zipped files as attachments or attachment in general. So, just apply some common sense approach. Always watch out for suspicious attachments, never execute them. Always scan then with ZA. If they are docs, pdf, etc... and you are using ZA Extreme then scan them with ZA Threat Emulation.

Always keep your system fully up to date. Hopefully you are not with XP otherwise please think soon to move to a supported OS.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Hi, details as requested:

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 13.1.211.000
    ZoneAlarm license key: *(subscriber)*
    Vsmon version: 13.1.211.0
    Driver version: 13.1.211.0
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.4.4
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1154836544
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4971

I am still running XP Pro. For some reason I find the later OS's difficult to get on with, but then I've been with XP since it started, so don't know what the best alternative is.
    I appreciate the common-sense side of self-defense on the net; I was curious as to how this one got through. In 10+ years of being a paying ZA susbscriber I have never seen anything like this find it's way in. My netbox is old but still works, (XP1600 + 1G + 320G HDD etc), I am reluctant to buy a new machine and OS only because it is old, and like me, tired!

Best Rgds'
    N

You should plan your upgrade as XP is not anymore supported, this means that even ZA will not be able to protect you as more and more vulnerabilities will be discovered and used by malware.

You seem to have the minimum requirements to update your system to windows 8. See here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ta-xp-tutorial

Finally, ZA works as intended, all e-mails are scanned on access (when you open them), therefore you are still perfectly safe. In fact, you report that ZA blocked the malware. However, considering that up to half a million viruses are found everyday it is not uncommon that antivirus tools may not detect it. That's why simple prevention measures should keep you safe.

Please read here below for an optimal setup of your system and ZA:
    xyz was not detected. What I should do?

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information