Thread: Zone Alarm Detects New Network

Default Zone Alarm Detects New Network

This morning, when I logged on, there was a message from Zone Alarm that it had detected a 'New' Network on my system and did I want it to be 'Public' or 'Trusted'. Because as far as I know I don't have a 'New' network, I chose 'Public'. I couldn't find any information about this anywhere, so I wonder if anyone could advise please?

Default Re: Zone Alarm Detects New Network

ZoneAlarm looks for new networks from your PC's operating system.

So when the operating system adds a new network then you will get a prompt from ZoneAlarm.

This new network could be a change on your home network. You will get this prompt if you take your computer to connect on some other internet connection. You changed ISP's. You enable wireless or wired networking on your PC that you previously did not have.

It good you placed it in public since you didn't know what it was.

Now what you have to do which we cant help you with is figure out why or what has added a new network on your operating system.
    If you determine its your own network and its trusted you should change the setting to trusted so that you don't have any issues with sharing files or printing over you home network.

Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: Zone Alarm Detects New Network

Quote Originally Posted by Forum-Moderator View Post
    ZoneAlarm looks for new networks from your PC's operating system.

So when the operating system adds a new network then you will get a prompt from ZoneAlarm.

This new network could be a change on your home network. You will get this prompt if you take your computer to connect on some other internet connection. You changed ISP's. You enable wireless or wired networking on your PC that you previously did not have.

It good you placed it in public since you didn't know what it was.

Now what you have to do which we cant help you with is figure out why or what has added a new network on your operating system.
    If you determine its your own network and its trusted you should change the setting to trusted so that you don't have any issues with sharing files or printing over you home network.

Forum Moderator
    Thanks for replying.

I have never connected my computer to any other internet connection and I don't have a home network as such. I did acquire a little netbook some time ago and when I use it, which isn't very often, I connect wirelessly through my broadband connection. But...I have been using this netbook for a while and I can't understand why Zone Alarm should suddenly find a new connection when it didn't before. I am concerned that maybe one of my neighbours has found a way to log onto my system! Or maybe Virgin has changed my connection; although this is different to an ip address isn't it?
    As you can no doubt tell, I am not all that savvy with computers. I've been using them for years, but when it comes to sorting out problems like this, I'm quite useless! I really can't see how I can possibly find out what this 'Network' is!

Thread Information