Thread: Zonealarm kills Mic for Google Hangouts / Voice

Default Zonealarm kills Mic for Google Hangouts / Voice

Zonealarm seems to be killing my mic somehow. When I make or recive a call via google voice (inside gmail) or via hangouts it works untill the call is connected then the mic cuts out and I get an error message. When I snooze ZA the problem goes away. I have the hangout program at trusted and everything is green for it and chrome, so I can't seem to figure out where this is interfering at. Any suggestions???? Thanks

Default Re: Zonealarm kills Mic for Google Hangouts / Voice

Quote Originally Posted by thejohnbob View Post
    Zonealarm seems to be killing my mic somehow. When I make or recive a call via google voice (inside gmail) or via hangouts it works untill the call is connected then the mic cuts out and I get an error message. When I snooze ZA the problem goes away. I have the hangout program at trusted and everything is green for it and chrome, so I can't seem to figure out where this is interfering at. Any suggestions???? Thanks
    Hello;

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

I am very sorry you are having problems with ZA and hopefully I will be able to find a solution for you..

Right click the ZA icon near the clock --> About --> Copy to Clipboard --> Paste in a reply here. Mind to remove the license key (if applicable).

Exact version of OS used? XP SP3? Windows 7 SP? Windows 8? 8.1?

Other security Programs running on the desktop PC? Laptop? Netbook?

How do you connect to the Internet: Phone Line, Cable Modem, Router, Wi-fi, Blue Tooth?

Since when have you are experiencing the problem? Did ZA ever worked correctly?

The More information you post more likely other users here will be able to help and suggest potential remedial actions.

*** NOTICE:

Whenever posting here- it is always advisable to list Full details of your Computer:

Please Give the Exact Type and version of Zone Alarm used, Windows Version & SP Update used, Browser type and version #, any other security tools installed and type of router or Internet connection used.

How do you connect to the Internet: Phone Line, Cable Modem, Router, Wi-Fi, Blue Tooth?

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.

is this a First time install?
    Stopped working recently?
    any other issues?
    any Error messages in the ZA logs?

Please List any other Security Programs installed as these programs may be conflicting with Zone Alarm.

Regards;
    Guru GeorgeV

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 13.1.211.000
    Vsmon version: 13.1.211.0
    Driver version: 13.1.123.0

Windows 7, also running AVG
    I connect via Cable Modem

This is the only thing that seems to be affected by ZA. It only happened after the latest update (the one back in April) this whole time I thought it might be a google issue than I thought it might be avast (which I unistalled) yesterday I tried the snooze ZA option and everything was fine for those 5 minutes.

I am confused by the information given. Hangouts does not work why? Because of chrome? I guess I don't have enough information or background to know what that was in reference too.

well.... looks like someone tried to help me (hence the comment I made above) but for some odd reason his comment was deleted? Has no one else really ever had this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by thejohnbob View Post
    well.... looks like someone tried to help me (hence the comment I made above) but for some odd reason his comment was deleted? Has no one else really ever had this issue?
    Hello;

Sorry, another user that used Hangout made an attempt to help you, but a short time later asked that their help post be removed, Deleted by PM Request from user.

I do not use "Mic for Google Hangouts / Voice" or the Free version of ZA firewall but I did a Google Search for the above and found a Support site for the above..

https://support.google.com/hangouts/.../3139543?hl=en

Known Issues

Video calls

Issues with Hangouts on Windows 8

The Windows 8-style UI doesn’t allow web browsers to use plugins. This means that Hangouts, which uses the Hangouts plugin, won’t work in the Windows 8-Style UI.

However, you can still use Hangouts by switching from the Windows 8-style UI to Desktop mode.
    If you don’t have the Hangouts plugin installed you can download it here.

Additional Resources

Hangouts does not support certain mics and webcams

Hangouts does not support the following devices:

Webcams

• Logitech webcams (C310, C910, etc.) don't work on Mac OS X 10.6.7 or earlier
    • DroidCam
    • VideoPower Plus software for webcams: For Windows machines only, the latest version of the cc.vdo file is not compatible.

Microphones

• Tascam US-144

Audio Chipsets

• Realtek ALC883 Audio Codec, Version 6.0.1.5413
    • Conexant 20585 SmartAudio HD

Google Voice users can't disable ringing in Hangouts

Calls to your Google Voice phone numbers will ring in Hangouts, even if you have removed Google Chat as a forwarding phone in your Google Voice Settings.

If you do not want to have calls to your Google Voice number ring you in Hangouts, please follow these steps:

1. Revert to the old Chat in Gmail.
    2. Sign out of Hangouts.

Audio Issues with Windows 7 on Lenovos when using the built-in microphone

We've received reports from users experiencing audio issues while using Windows 7 on Lenovos. If you're using the built in microphone on your Lenovos device and others report that they hear an echo when speaking to you, please try the following steps:

1. Right click on the speaker icon in the bottom right.
    2. Choose Recording devices.
    3. Right click on Internal Microphoneand then select Properties.
    4. Select the Advanced tab.
    5. Uncheck Enable audio enhancements.
    6. Press OK.

Third party audio packages may cause Hangouts to crash

Certain third party audio packages can cause Google Hangouts plugin to crash on Macintosh OS X.
    Thanks to your reports, we’ve identified an issue affecting the Google Hangouts plugin in Macintosh OS X which causes it to crash unexpectedly. The crashes in this case can happen after a group video call or after a 1:1 call. This particular crash is caused by incompatibilities with third party audio or video packages, such as Rogue Amoeba’s Audio Hijack Pro or the 3ivx, Wirecast, Filter Suite, or QuickTime component.
    While both we and Rogue Amoeba are working to resolve the issue, you can use the following as a workaround in the meantime:

1. Start Audio Hijack Pro
    2. Under the Audio Hijack Pro menu, click Install Extras.
    3. In the Instant On feature, click Instant On Preferences.
    4. Click the + button to add an exclusion.
    5. Add the following, /Library/Application\ Support/Google/GoogleTalkPlugin.app.

If you experience crashes with 3ivx, try uninstalling any 3ivx software to see if it resolves the issue. Doing so should resolve Hangouts plugin crashes due to this incompatibility. We’re still investigating other types of crashes, however, so please keep reporting them to us as they happen. The best place to let us know is our user help forum.

General known issues

"Something's not right" error message

Networks at businesses and schools are sometimes set to allow access only to certain web sites, like mail.google.com. This can prevent Hangouts from loading.
    If you are on a network with restricted access, you may need to ask your network administrator to whitelist the following domains to use Hangouts:

My contact is blocked in Hangouts

If you've blocked someone from your Google account like in Google+, Google Reader, or Google Talk the person will also be blocked in your Hangouts.

Remember, if you unblock someone in Hangouts, it will also unblock them in your other Google account services.

Plug-in 1603 error message

Receiving 1603 error
    In Microsoft Windows, if you encounter a 1603 error during installation, you can run the Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter . After running the utility, upgrades and installations should proceed normally.

The Hangouts app disappeared from Chrome

If the Hangouts app has disappeared in your Chrome browser and the browser recently prompted you to reset settings, you may need to re-enable the Hangouts Chrome extension to use the app again:

1. Go to the Chrome Web Store
    2. Click Enable this item at the top of the Hangouts page.

Read the Chromium blog for more information.

I hope this helps as I have no other suggestions,
    maybe some other user of both Hangout and the Free ZA firewall will see this post and offer some help?

Regards;
    Guru GeorgeV
    Last edited by GeorgeV; July 4th, 2014 at 08:21 PM. Reason: fix typos

Thread Information