Thread: Widevine Media Optimizer used by HBO is blocked by ZoneAlarm - how can I open up?

Question Widevine Media Optimizer used by HBO is blocked by ZoneAlarm - how can I open up?

Hi All

I'm trying to access the HBO online service, which uses Widevine. However, ZoneAlarm blocks access to this.

My program is ZoneAlarm Internet Sec. Suite ver. 13.1.211.000.

Issue with ZoneAlarm active

When I access the website and presses play, the screen shows a loading icon, which is frozen for a short period of time. Meanwhile I see a small increase in network traffic, which is expected from streaming. Afterwards the loading icon starts moving but never shows any pictures or sound.

Disabling parts of ZoneAlarm

The sam happens if I disable the Firewall and Application Control parts of ZoneAlarm.

However, if I disable Anti-Virus / Anti-Spyware, everything works as expected.

I can't see how I can do a proper setup where I tell ZoneAlarm that Widevine is a proper application. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Henrik

Default Re: Widevine Media Optimizer used by HBO is blocked by ZoneAlarm - how can I open up?

Have you tried to go to the advanced options of the ZA antivirus and UNtick the option of "web scanning"? You may need to reboot the PC for the changes to take effect.
    Also: have you checked that it happens in any web browsers? (Internet Explorer, firefox, etc...)

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: Widevine Media Optimizer used by HBO is blocked by ZoneAlarm - how can I open up?

Hi Fax

I de-activated the Web Monitoring (not protection, but I couldn't find that specific option), which also help with my problem. It also happened in IE, Firefox and Chrome

So, this narrows the culprit to that functionality.

However, I would like to be able to white-list certain web sites or programs instead of disabling the service altogether. Is that possible?

/Henrik

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikAndresen View Post
    Hi Fax

I de-activated the Web Monitoring (not protection, but I couldn't find that specific option), which also help with my problem. It also happened in IE, Firefox and Chrome

So, this narrows the culprit to that functionality.

However, I would like to be able to white-list certain web sites or programs instead of disabling the service altogether. Is that possible?

/Henrik

Hello;

Whenever posting here- it is always advisable to list Full details of your Computer:

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.

Right click the ZA icon near the clock --> About --> Copy to Clipboard --> Paste in a reply here. Mind to remove the license key (if applicable).

Exact version of OS used? XP SP3? Windows 7 SP? Windows 8? 8.1?

Any Other security Programs running on the desktop PC? Laptop? Netbook?

Regards;
    Guru GeorgeV

Hi

Copy of the about box:

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 13.1.211.000
    ZoneAlarm license key:
    Vsmon version: 13.1.211.0
    Driver version: 13.1.123.0
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.4.4
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1155751104
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4973

OS
    Windows 7 SP 1

Usage
    Desktop PC with a WIFI usb dongle attached. There are no other security programs attached. Issue is present even if I "Run as Administrator" or change user rights.

Hope this helps in tracking

/Henrik

Sorry, I am not aware of a way to whitelist a website. It is a ON/OFF switch only. So, you will need to turn OFF the ZA WEB Monitoring whenever you use that optimizer/DRM and turn it ON again when you are not using it.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information