Thread: Windows 7 Unresponsive/Hangs - ZA Version 13

Lightbulb Windows 7 Unresponsive/Hangs - ZA Version 13

(ZA 13.2.015)

I've been struggling with figuring out why my Windows 7 x64 Pro PC has been lagging so badly lately. It began with programs taking forever to launch, windows explorer taking a long time to display context menus and open folders, etc. However, this behavior only occurred the first time I opened a program or executed a task. If I closed and reopened the same program, it would launch immediately the second time. It's been occurring for some time but can't remember exactly when it began or what version of ZA I was on at the time, but it was recently so it's safe to say version 13...

At first I presumed it was my graphics driver, which had given me problems in the past, but I quickly ruled that out. Next I suspected it may be a problem with my system SSD drive. Checkdisk was clean as well as scans done through my SSD firmware. But the symptoms were almost identical to that of a failing hard drive. So, I continued on with imaging my SSD, doing a secure erase, and then restoring the image. No change. I figured instead of doing the ZA clean and reinstall dance again I'd just format and reinstall Windows completely to be 100% my system files hadn't become corrupted. However, once I reinstalled ZA on a fresh Windows installation, the strange behavior began again.

Being a fresh install, I immediately focused on ZA. I tried disabling every feature one at a time in ZA. Keylogger, on-access scanning, and so on. I eventually stumbled across the "Real-Time Cloud Protection" option under anti-virus advanced settings and disable that. Restart required. Logged into windows and everything was back to normal! Start menu, context menus, launching programs, browsing folders, running installers/uninstallers, they were are snappy and responsive once again.

It's only been an hour or so since discovering this, but I haven't noticed any "hangs" since. This has consumed my entire week, and it seems as if it was all due to a single check box in ZA. I'm not sure what the real-tme cloud protection does exactly on a communication level with ZA servers, but it definitely had an impact on my PC.

~snip~
    Last edited by GeorgeV; July 25th, 2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: some comments had to go

Default Re: Windows 7 Unresponsive/Hangs - ZA Version 13

Quote Originally Posted by crypto map View Post
    (ZA 13.2.015)

I've been struggling with figuring out why my Windows 7 x64 Pro PC has been lagging so badly lately. It began with programs taking forever to launch, windows explorer taking a long time to display context menus and open folders, etc. However, this behavior only occurred the first time I opened a program or executed a task. If I closed and reopened the same program, it would launch immediately the second time. It's been occurring for some time but can't remember exactly when it began or what version of ZA I was on at the time, but it was recently so it's safe to say version 13....

Being a fresh install, I immediately focused on ZA. I tried disabling every feature one at a time in ZA. Keylogger, on-access scanning, and so on. I eventually stumbled across the "Real-Time Cloud Protection" option under anti-virus advanced settings and disable that. Restart required. Logged into windows and everything was back to normal! Start menu, context menus, launching programs, browsing folders, running installers/uninstallers, they were are snappy and responsive once again.

It's only been an hour or so since discovering this, but I haven't noticed any "hangs" since. This has consumed my entire week, and it seems as if it was all due to a single check box in ZA. I'm not sure what the real-tme cloud protection does exactly on a communication level with ZA servers, but it definitely had an impact on my PC.

~snip~
    Hi;

Turning off Real-Time Cloud protection, is Gutting the Real-time AV protection offered by Zone Alarm v13.1..

Antivirus/Anti-Spyware Engine
    Detects and remove viruses, spyware, Trojan horses, worms, bots and rootkits.
    Advanced Real-Time Antivirus NEW!
    Enhances protection by checking against an always up-to-date cloud database of antivirus signatures.
    Advanced Firewall
    Monitors programs for suspicious behavior spotting and stopping new attacks that bypass traditional anti-virus protection.
    Two-way Firewall
    Makes your PC invisible to hackers and stops spyware from sending your data out to the Internet.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; July 25th, 2014 at 07:51 PM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: Windows 7 Unresponsive/Hangs - ZA Version 13

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Turning off Real-Time Cloud protection, is Gutting the Real-time AV protection offered by Zone Alarm v13.1..
    I agree others should realize this and take that fact into consideration.

I understand this disables the real time cloud service, but I have to weigh the pros and cons in this scenario. This is the only feature that I currently have disabled in my ZA. On-access scanning remains enabled, firewall and program control have been tuned aggressively, and update checks are done hourly. Full scans are done regularly.

I personally feel that this level of protection is adequate for myself, especially when compared to the unresponsiveness of my system when it's enabled. Again, I'm not sure if it's something hardware specific to my machine or if the cloud protection is really designed to be this aggressive/intrusive. I just thought I'd put this finding out there to help others if they experience similar symptoms and want to go the same route.

Thread Information