Thread: Oculus rift and Zone Alarm

Default Oculus rift and Zone Alarm

When Zone Alarm is installed Oculus Rift does not work at all, there seems to be some kind of conflict, Tried disable-ing and using game mode but that does not work, only solution is a complete uninstall-hxxp://www.oculusvr.com-.
    Last edited by fax; August 8th, 2014 at 03:27 AM. Reason: active hyperlink

Default Re: Oculus rift and Zone Alarm

When Zone Alarm is installed Oculus Rift does not work at all, there seems to be some kind of conflict, Tried disable-ing and using game mode but that does not work, only solution is a complete uninstall-hxxp://www.oculusvr.com-.

Hi;

Looks like a Conflict..

Please check with "Oculus Rift" Support Web Site with details of your computer and issue with Zone Alarm,

since they are more familiar with their on Game or device than users of Zone Alarm,
    they are better situated to resolve the issue with their Game or device..

Check to see if "Oculus Rift" Web Site has a Support Forum or FAQ section where users of "Oculus Rift" discuss how they resolved issues with this game or device?

Regards;
    Guru GeorgeV
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 8th, 2014 at 04:44 AM. Reason: fix typo

Oculus Rift is not a game, it is hardware, There are multiple people with problems and reported on the Oculus forums, only solution anyone has gotten to work is a complete uninstall of Zone Alarm.

It seems an issue with ports. First I could not find concrete information provided from the manufacturer on which ports to open, secondly you cannot open ports with ZAfree (only ZA retail versions).

Conclusion: I am afraid you will need to find another free firewall that works with your hardware.

Sorry,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

It might also be an act of just trying but if Oculus rift does indeed use ports and thus IP traffic, it might use IPV6 as default.

It is more or less known that Zonealarm blocks around 99% of IPV6 traffic in and out and gives no one a single choice as to what to allow or disallow.

Case in point:
    Diskeeper12, uses IPv6 by default, doesn't work at all unless you disable IPv6 networking in zonealarm settings.

Quote Originally Posted by psavola View Post
    It is more or less known that Zonealarm blocks around 99% of IPV6 traffic in and out and gives no one a single choice as to what to allow or disallow.
    Sorry, just to avoid confusion for users browsing this forum please note that:

There are no known wide issues of ZA blocking of IPv6 data. There are however known conflicts with ZA and certain software (e.g. Diskeeper 12).
    How the IPv6 option works in ZA? If IPV6 is ticked in ZA then all IPv6 traffic will be allowed by default. If the option is UNticked all IPv6 traffic will be blocked.

Thanks,
    Fax

So you are saying that if I use the non free version I could get this to work.

I am fine with buying Zone Alarm, but I do not want anything else then the Firewall I do not want the Virus protection, I simply wish there was a commercial version of just the firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by olihar View Post

I am fine with buying Zone Alarm, but I do not want anything else then the Firewall I do not want the Virus protection, I simply wish there was a commercial version of just the firewall.
    Sorry, that not available..
    Zone Alarm Pro (without AV) still comes with a lot of other features..

Advanced Firewall
    Monitors programs for suspicious behavior spotting and stopping new attacks that bypass traditional anti-virus protection.
    Two-way Firewall
    Makes your PC invisible to hackers and stops spyware from sending your data out to the Internet.
    Private Browsing
    Erases your tracks - allowing you to surf the Web in complete privacy.
    Identity Protection
    Helps to prevent identity theft by guarding your personal data.

• Do Not Track
      Stops data collecting companies from tracking you online.
    • Facebook Privacy Scan
      Scans your recent Facebook activity and alerts you to privacy concerns. Control what others can see.
    • Online Backup
      Backs up files and restores your data in the event of hardware malfunction.
    • Privacy & Security Toolbar
      Provides Site Check, Do Not Track, Facebook Privacy Scan, private browsing and more.

Have you checked (Google.com) search for "Firewall Only"
    there are hundreds of alternative Firewall programs both Free and Paid available on the Internet.. maybe one of those offer what you want for your computer..

Regards;
    Guru GeorgeV
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 8th, 2014 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by olihar View Post
    Not enough, you then need to know which ports you have to open and been able to do so alone. I am not aware of details been released by the manufacturer on ports used by the hardware.

The only way to have ZA work with the hardware is having the manufacturer of the hardware just downloading the free software and test it.

If you have contacts with the manufacturer you should suggest this and to follow up with ZA directly if problems are identified.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thread Information