Thread: ZoneAlarm Free Firewall and AVG Free: Command Line Scan issue

Default ZoneAlarm Free Firewall and AVG Free: Command Line Scan issue

Hello, I'm new to ZoneAlarm but a longtime user of AVG AntiVirus (formerly relying on Windows Firewall, not AVG's). I installed this version 2 days ago:

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 13.3.209.000
    Vsmon version: 13.3.209.0
    Driver version: 13.2.18.0

(OS Vista 32-bit SP2, AVG version 2014.0.4745)

Since then, AVG has been running frequent command line scans launched by System (something I have never seen AVG do before). These scans are always of single files in c:\windows\temp with filenames in the form ics*** with extension tmp. The scans find no infection, but the accumulation of scan results and temp files is annoying to say the least. This issue seems to have been reported here a year ago: https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/sho...i-Virus-Issues

As sharmar stated in that thread, many users were experiencing the issue. Here's a link to the old AVG Forums: http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-foru...show&id=232043

These two programs are supposed to be compatible. Any explanation?

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free Firewall and AVG Free: Command Line Scan issue

Sorry all users here, no ZA development or support. The explanation has already been given here: https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/sho...255#post298255

If this antivirus keep scanning ZA best to choose another free antivirus that will work well with ZA and your system. Plenty of choices out there including the same ZAfree with integrated Antivirus. Otherwise remove ZA and choose another free firewall, again many choices out there.

As this question is simply out of scope for this ZA users board (user-to-user help on common ZA product related issues), I will soon close this thread.

Sorry again,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thanks fax, but I already read that entire thread, and I did try your "Reset to Default" suggestion. Perhaps the right question for this forum would have been: Do all ZA Free Firewall users have ics**** files accumulating in c:\windows\temp? If only some ZA users have those, then those users are the ones who would encounter the issue with AVG. I disabled AVG, then disabled my LAN connection, which always produces a new temp file. Command line scans occurred once AVG was enabled again.

You don't have many posts about the issue here because nearly everyone posts at AVG. Here's a post I found at the new AVG Support Community: http://community.avg.com/windows_pro...00000004ZLaAAM

Hi!

Sorry, temp files in Windows temp folder by ZA is by design and always has been like this. You can use the same OS to clean temp files or dedicated free utilities that can do it automatically (e.g. ccleaner). For the rest only the antivirus manufacturer can address their scanning and possible settings to exclude those scanning.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information