Thread: [SOLVED] Anti-Spam Not working at all

Default [SOLVED] Anti-Spam Not working at all

Recently my anti-spam stopped working. NOTHING is going in that folder and I'm getting tons of spam. All the settings are correct. I've been using ZA for many years and am familiar with all anti-spam settings. Suggestions?

Default Re: Anti-Spam Not working at all

I found the issue. Outlook decided to remove sonic wall on its own. Figured out how to put it back.

Hi;

Thank you for your Feedback on how you resolved your issue with Outlook..

Regards;
    GeorgeV

I suppose this thread is good for my problem, as ZA isn't detecting spam here either although I'm neither receiving "tons" of it nor from apparently different senders. How would I check if that "Sonic Wall" or whatever name for my version (ZAES v14.3.119 in XP and 15.123 in Vista) is up and running?

Since 2-3 weeks ago I'm receiving emails that I consider malicious, at least potentially, and at the very least not expected or wanted at all. Maybe 20-25 total until now. They don't have literally the same matter, text or attachment name, but all follow a certain pattern and aren't directed to my real name (what given their alleged importance, payments and managerial reports and such, would be expected), but to my nickname in certain nickname@domain (I've got several accounts and nicks but all use the same), so I suppose the sender has managed to get email addresses w/o physical names and is sending mails blindly.

The emails try to catch your attention. The last one received has "Payment" as matter and the following text (all are similar but not equal, and treat the reader as if he/she was in the knowing):

Dear nickname, thanks for working with us.
    We are sending the contract that we agreed on last week.
    Please read through the attachment and return us the scan of the signed contract.

King regards,
    Cathryn Nash
    Chief Technology Officer
    e-mail: Nash.4487@fixed-188-13-187-188-13-90.iusacell.net

It has a .zip attachment, all have one, "contract_scan_c45ddb4.zip" in this case. All are similar in this too, different name for the attachment but same "style". I wouldn't dare to touch one with a 10-foot pole lol, so I inmediately delete these mails. I use to have Outlook set to permanently delete all items in the Deleted Items bin on exit.

If it matters, I live in Spain not in an English spoken country, and I've never had labor or managerial relations in English. So this sender is doing this quite blindly.

Versión de ZoneAlarm Extreme Security: 14.3.119.000
    Versión de Vsmon: 14.3.119.0
    Versión del controlador: 14.3.119.0
    Versión de motor antivirus: 8.7.0.66
    Versión de archivo DAT de firma de antivirus: 1228754208
    Versión de protección contra el correo no deseado: 6.4.3.2153

ZA hasn't caught any of these mails although Anti-Spam (and MailSafe for the matter) is on. Neither has Outlook either, which is set to apply its filter too. This has worked well for many years but, is it correct to have two filters here?

And, could I tell ZA to report them somehow, or forward them myself somewhere if it's safe enough? I've deleted the above email anyway, it would be for the next one(s) if they manage to reach my Input Bin again.
    Last edited by factor; September 29th, 2016 at 03:07 AM. Reason: typo

Does ZA antispam filter any spam at all? You may need to turn off outlook integrated spam filter to test.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 24x6 Pacific time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Does ZA antispam filter any spam at all? You may need to turn off outlook integrated spam filter to test.
    Since I put my previous post those mails stopped lol. Yesterday ZA caught one (from another kind and sender) so it works, with the Outllok filter on. I haven't received any other dubious one since the others.

Then it must be clever spam getting pass both filters...

It turns out that the ZA filter wasn't active in all my Windows installs although it was on in ZA -> Web&Privacy and always has been, Idk why or since when because I receive few items to filter and I wasn't paying attention. The fix was very simple: turn off AntiSpam and MailSafe in ZA -> Web&Privacy -> Anti-Spam settings, exit ZA configuration and enter it again to turn them on. When entering Outlook, you must see the ZA filter splash screen and the ZA toolbar for Outlook.

Also you have to ensure that, in your Outlook account settings, the main pst file is selected as default in the "data files" tab (and not archive or similar).

Thread Information