Thread: [SOLVED] ZoneAlarm or CCleaner problem? --> Updated to the latest ZA version

Default [SOLVED] ZoneAlarm or CCleaner problem? --> Updated to the latest ZA version

Hi,

Running Win7 Pro/64, with the commercial version of ZoneAlarm Firewal + AV (14.3.119.000) installed resident. Also CCleaner (5.22.5724) is installed and started at boot-up, but I also run it manually several times a day. Both CCleaner and ZA run with default settings, and both ZA AV, MalwareBytes Pro, HitmanPro, SuperAntiSpyware and Windows Defender come up showing a clean system. I do NOT suspect infection, that is.

The "problem" is the annoying ZoneAlarm pop-up window that appear in the lower right corner of the screen each time CCleaner is started, and that force me to klick the close button FOUR times before it disappears! The statement in the pop-up window reads:

"CCleaner was prevented from changing the behavior of ZoneAlarm Antivirus by modifying the file: C:\ProgramData\CheckPoint\ZoneAlarm\Logs\ZALog.txt "

Excluding the log file (or even the entire CheckPoint folder above) under CCleaner settings, will still produce the same pop-up window, but reduces the amount of clicks neccessary to close it to TWO... When CCleaner automatically starts and run in the background, the pop-up window will satisfy with just ONE click in order to close. This behavior suggests the existance of at least one additonal ZALog.txt that CCleaner is unable to access, but I can't fine any.

I would very much like this problem to go away.

Default Re: ZoneAlarm or CCleaner problem?

I am afraid this is more an issue with ccleaner. ZA has built in an anti-tampering mechanism that will prevent third party applications to alter ZA files or registry entries. I am not sure why even if you exclude the checkpoint folder (be sure you are pointing to the right folder C:\ProgramData\CheckPoint\ZoneAlarm\Logs) you get an alert from ZA. Ccleaner must ignore your exclusion.

Also normally ZA OSfirewall alerts are only logged with no alter. May be your ZA database (where settings are stored) is corrupted. You may want to try to fully remove ZA from Windows 7 control panel, reboot, install latest ZA 15 version (link at the top of this forum) and test without changing any ZA default settings.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 24x6 Pacific time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Downloaded and installed the new version as advised and the problem went away. The exclusion path WAS right, so the issue must have been caused by something else.

Problem solved - thank you!

Stux

You're welcome and thank you very much for taking the time to report back on how you resolved the problem.
    I will change the thread title to hint to the solution and closing it. Please do not hesitate to PM me in case you need to reopen it.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 24x6 Pacific time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information