Thread: ZA Extreme 15.0.159.17147 Windows 7 X64. PC unresponsive during updates

Unhappy ZA Extreme 15.0.159.17147 Windows 7 X64. PC unresponsive during updates

() Symptoms:

Mouse remains responsive. Windows can be moved around. I Can launch a new browser window, but... nothing happens. The machine is hung, as if waiting on a global lock for a resource disk or network. If I right click on windows system bar I get circle. If I launch a new program I get nothing. If I launch a new tab it launches then hangs. After over a minute the system seems to jerk back to life.

() Other observed behavior.

On the same machine, I have the latest vmware workstation. My windows 7 VM hangs for approximately 3 minutes during boot. When it finally comes up Zone Alarm icon in the VM shows a red X. The "show monitor" menu item is greyed out, and it shows updating. When zonealarm is uninstalled the behavior is gone.

() Why I am associating it with ZA?

Each time this happens Zone alarm is updating. If I cancel the update. the System comes back to life.

() What do I think it is?
    I have no idea. The only guess I have now is that it's an issue with a recent windows patch?

Anyone else?
    Thanks
    Mike

Windows 7X64
    W520 i7 quad core
    32 GB RAM
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 15.0.159.17147
    ZoneAlarm license key:
    Vsmon version: 15.0.159.17147
    Driver version: 15.1.29.17237
    Antivirus engine version: 8.7.0.69
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1248874848
    Anti-Spam version: 6.4.3.2155

Unhappy Re: ZA Extreme 15.0.159.17147 Windows 7 X64. PC unresponsive during updates

I spoke with tech support.
    It was suggested to to set my public zone security to medium.
    It was suggested to set the zone for the network I'm connected to to trusted.
    I don't feel overly comfortable with either of those suggestions but I did them.

That seemed to alleviate the problem with updates so far.
    I am getting the same hangs periodically so there is still some serious resource conflict, but I can't correlate them directly to zonealarm anymore.

If anyone else hits this behavior please let me know.

thanks.

Default Re: ZA Extreme 15.0.159.17147 Windows 7 X64. PC unresponsive during updates

I have the same issue on my 2 windows 7 PC's one is 64 bit the other 32bit, no problem on my windows 10 machine though.

The problem appears during the Connecting/checking stage of the update, goes away once the download starts, then happens again during the installation. Connecting takes a long time, on the Win 7 machines.

I've tried setting public zone security to medium and zone for the network I'm connected to to trusted, but still locking up the machine until the download starts.

Default Re: ZA Extreme 15.0.159.17147 Windows 7 X64. PC unresponsive during updates

Sorry all users here,no ZA technical support. If you have a valid license, its best to report it directly to official ZA technical support and to troubleshoot the issue with them.

Link to ZA support at the top of the main forum entry page.

Sorry again,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 24x6 Pacific time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Please also try to use the latest version of ZA Extreme (15.1.501.17249). Fully remove the old version and only then install then new. Link to installer at the top of this forum main page.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 24x6 Pacific time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information