Thread: Internet download speed progressively reduces

Default Internet download speed progressively reduces

Recently I started to notice that the download speed on my computer was getting progressively slower. When I reboot the machine it returns to the correct speed but starts to reduce over the next few hours. From using speedtest.net I have recorded the speed going from over 200Mbps to less than 30.

I thought it was something to do with malware or a virus so I went through a complete sweep of the machine with a number of anti-virus and anti-malware programs but they found no issues. I then used msconfig to stop the loading of any non-Microsoft services and all start-up programs. This left only Zonealarm Free and Avast Free running.

I was still getting the problem with the internet slowdown. But as soon as I uninstalled Zonealarm the problem went away.

Searching the net and this forum hasn't yielded any answers. I suspect this issue started when I upgraded from version 14.1.011.000 to 15.0.653.17211

I have also upgraded to 15.1.50117249 but the problem still exists.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1. The computer is connected to the internet via cable using Intel Ethernet Connection I217-V.

Has anybody got any ideas of what else I can look at to fix this problem?

Default Re: Internet download speed progressively reduces

I'm having the exact same issue, but on a cleanly installed Windows 10 Pro Creators Update. Before the update everything was fine, but after failing to update a running W10 system (one of five systems, the other four updated without problems) I decided to do a fresh install. This went fine, until I installed Extreme Security. Within half an hour after booting my internet slowed down from 150 Mbit/s to less than 10 Mbit/s. Exiting ZoneAlarm restored the speed immediately. Removing, CLEAN.exe-ing and re-installing ZA twice did not change a thing.

I had a lengthy chat with a ZoneLabs support agent, but had to explain to him what the Creators Update was... SMH ...

Nevertheless, he suggested adjusting the security level of the Public Zone to Medium. This seemed to have some effect (now I only lost 5 to 10 Mbit/s after one hour), but I expressed my doubts about how and why this a valid fix.

After a few more (clearly scripted) suggestions concerning printer-sharing and Web Monitoring, and ignoring my rather obvious point (full speed without ZA, crawling with ZA), I stopped the chat.

Right now my internet speed had again dropped below 5 Mbit/s, and recovered completely after exiting ZA.

I'm starting to regret my 2 year / 3 pc subscription...

Try This...

Here is my suggestion:

1. ) Check to see if you have too many programs running in the background using up resources..

2.) also Running applications that keep a constant internet connection open will create extra cycles to be used for ZA. Your basically constantly pushing data through ZA that it has to analyze so there will be more resources used and 50% and more is not unusual with these types of applications.

Itís always been this way with ZA its just how the ZA core technology works and it nothing that can be changed or fixed because its working as designed.

Best advise don't run these kinds of apps all the time.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; April 20th, 2017 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Try This...

Here is my suggestion:

1. ) Check to see if you have too many programs running in the background using up resources..

2.) also Running applications that keep a constant internet connection open will create extra cycles to be used for ZA. Your basically constantly pushing data through ZA that it has to analyze so there will be more resources used and 50% and more is not unusual with these types of applications.

Itís always been this way with ZA its just how the ZA core technology works and it nothing that can be changed or fixed because its working as designed.

Best advise don't run these kinds of apps all the time.
    The configuration I am using has all start-up programs and non-Microsoft processes stopped. The only two items that are left running are Zonealarm and Avast Free.

When I re-install the previous Zonealarm version I had prior to upgrading in February the problem disappears and the internet connection is fine. When I put back the latest version with the same computer set-up it starts to slow down again. Something has changed between versions that I presume is now conflicting with my machine.

Hello,

We looked into this issue here with the latest version 15.1 on both Win 7 and Win 10 (creator's update) and we cannot reproduce the issue.

Being that this is not a wide spread issue and its not a single OS, tells us its more than likely specific to your PC's. We need to be hearing from hundreds of users to think it was a bug in ZA itself that's widespread.

Just from the info given our best guess is that its a classic memory/resource leak or conflict in an app or driver.

A PC that works fine for hours and then the internet starts slowing like that, and if they shut down and restart ZA its works fine for a few hours again. Shutting down ZA will disconnect it from the OS kernel and networking stack and thus could restart/refresh memory/resources for that offending app, driver or OS component.

Taking a look at the task manager could clue you in if you can see something that's grown in memory usage or cpu usage might tell you what the issue is.

This could have been introduced by an OS update from Microsoft, or other drivers for hardware or an app update.
    Best way to troubleshoot is to backtrack and restore the PC with older system backups so they can remove whatever was installed and created this issue.

Forum Moderator.
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; April 24th, 2017 at 01:41 PM.
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 24x6
    Closed Sundays and Holidays PST

Thread Information