Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 15.1 showing update errors

Default 15.1 showing update errors

Since updating ZoneAlarm Pro Antivirus + Firewall to version 15.1.501.17249, it has been erroring when updating virus definitions. It does work very occasionally (normally after 10pm for some reason), but the vast majority of the time it gets stuck at 25% before reporting "Antivirus/Anti-spyware update; Error". The subsequent product update seems to complete ok. This happens with both automatic and manual updates.

Does "Antivirus/Anti-spyware update; Error" mean there was actually a problem, or just that there were no new updates available at the time? I have it set to update every 30 minutes, but at the moment it's showing the last update as 2 days ago (20th April, DAT version 1251248768).

This is on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit v1607. I've tried all the advice given to me by ZoneAlarm support (resetting the database, clean uninstall and reinstall, setting public zone to medium and network to trusted) but it has made no difference.

Default Re: 15.1 showing update errors

Hi;

This sounds like a Corrupted ZA Database..

Try this:

1.) click TOOLS
    2.) click Preferences
    3.) click on "Reset to Default"
    4.) in the window that opens, Check the Box to Also Reset AV Definition.
    5.) Click OK and wait a few Minutes, then Reboot computer.

6.) now Click Update Now..

Let us know if this resolved your problem..

Regards,
    Last edited by GeorgeV; April 22nd, 2017 at 07:27 AM. Reason: fix typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 24 Hours Pacific Time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Hi,

Thanks. Unfortunately this doesn't make any difference. It was the first thing ZoneAlarm support told me to do, minus waiting a few minutes.

I just tried it again, waiting before rebooting as suggested, but it still won't update and the DAT file has now reverted to an earlier one (1251107584, which I assume it what it was installed with).

How do you connect to internet? DSL? Cable?
    Other security tools installed?

Not moved yet to WIN10 Creators update? I would also make a try with latest WIN10 version.

Sounds like an issue at router or ISP level.
    Last edited by fax; April 22nd, 2017 at 09:41 AM.

Monday-Saturday 24x6 Pacific time

Fibre to the Cabinet (BT Infinity 2), WiFi to BT Home Hub, around 60Mbps download speed. I'm having no other problems with the internet. No other security tools apart from Windows 10's built-in Windows Defender, which is set to "periodic scanning" mode but otherwise turned off.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit v1607 "Anniversary Update". I upgraded to ZoneAlarm 15.1.501.17249 to be ready for the forthcoming Creators Update, and I think that's when the ZoneAlarm update problems started. I'm reluctant to go back to the previous version as I don't know when Windows will update to the Creators Update, and I gather this needs 15.1.501.17249.

I've just noticed it's updated once since my last post, but is now back to erroring again. That's why I wondered if the errors simply meant there were no new updates available. But I'm sure the last version never used to error and used to update very regularly (the last updated time shown was nearly always the last time the update was run).

Perhaps I'll wait to see if the Creators Update makes any difference when it arrives.

Does it only happen when you force a manual update?
    Screenshot of the pop up windows when you update?

I would leave it for few days doing its work and see if it stabilises.

Thanks,
    Fax

It updated again this morning at 8:54am and now has DAT version 1251416384, but has failed since then (every 30 minutes).

These screenshots are from an auto update (I clicked View Update while it was in progress), but the same thing happens if I start the update manually.

The progress bar zips along quickly to 25%, then stops for a while:

ZoneAlarmUpdate1.jpg

Finally it reports the error. It then does a product update, which takes less than a second for the progress bar to get to 100%, and ends up showing this:

ZoneAlarmUpdate2.jpg

Is this just a "no update available" error? If so, it can go 2 or 3 days between getting new updates sometimes. At least it's updating occasionally, so as long as it's not getting too out of date I guess that's ok. I'll keep an eye on it.

Only updating within few days is not normal it should update few or several times per day.

See if it goes back to normal in few days/weeks or after updating to Creators Update otherwise I would try again to fully remove it including chasing any checkpoint/zonealarm/kaspersky folders on the the PC.

If the issue persist I am afraid it would be time to look for alternatives or keep going back to support to have your ZA logs reviewed.

Fax
    P.S. Try to set the updating frequency to default (1 hour) and see if you get the same problem. It could be a bug on the 30 minutes frequency ?
    Last edited by fax; April 23rd, 2017 at 06:23 AM.

Setting the update frequency back to hourly didn't make any difference. When I get time I'll try another clean reinstall and this time leave the update frequency setting alone to see if that has any effect.

Strangely though, since the weekend it seems to have fallen back into a pattern of working fine after 10pm but not before. The last three evenings, every update has errored until around 10pm, then they've started working every time (or at least the couple of times they've run before I switched the PC off). In all three cases, the PC had been running since it was switched on at about 6pm.

Assuming this isn't just coincidence, could it indicate anything? I'm not aware of anything on my PC or network that starts or stops at 10pm.

Thank you for your Feedback,

I agree with Guru Fax,

Based on your Feedback,

Here is my Suggestion..

Check your Computer Setup and see if you have SLEEP Mode set, or turned on, if you Zone Alarm is set to check for updates every hour while computer is turned ON, then it may detect Error if it is blocked during Sleep mode or Do Not Disturb mode?

Let us know what you find out?

GeorgeV

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information