Thread: Failing to update Antivirus - Out of ideas

Question Failing to update Antivirus - Out of ideas

Hi

I see there is a pinned topic on this already. I have tried all no success.
    The support have tryied to help me without success and asked me to turn to this forum.

Verison:
    ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 15.1.504.17269
    Vsmon version: 15.1.504.17269
    Driver version: 15.1.29.17237
    Antivirus engine version: 8.7.1.99
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1260866688

PC:
    Windows 10, 64bit.
    Router: TP-Link Touch P5, using cable (same problem without the router)

Problem:
    Antivirus fail to update, stops at 26% and give failed error.screenshot.jpg

Tested:
    - Reinstallation of ZoneAlarms, works fine for 1-2 weeks then same error
    - Reinstallation of PC (Win 10 64 bit), works fine for 1-2 weeks then same error
    - Lowered firewall -> Currrent Settings to Mid on both Public and Trusted
    - ZoneAlarm -> Tools -> Preserences -> "Reset to Default"

Am running out of ideas now :/ Someone please help me out on this.

Default Re: Failing to update Antivirus - Out of ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Moone View Post
    Hi

I see there is a pinned topic on this already. I have tried all no success.
    The support have tryied to help me without success and asked me to turn to this forum.

Verison:
    ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 15.1.504.17269
    Vsmon version: 15.1.504.17269
    Driver version: 15.1.29.17237
    Antivirus engine version: 8.7.1.99
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1260866688

PC:
    Windows 10, 64bit.
    Router: TP-Link Touch P5, using cable (same problem without the router)

Problem:
    Antivirus fail to update, stops at 26% and give failed error.screenshot.jpg

Tested:
    - Reinstallation of ZoneAlarms, works fine for 1-2 weeks then same error
    - Reinstallation of PC (Win 10 64 bit), works fine for 1-2 weeks then same error
    - Lowered firewall -> Currrent Settings to Mid on both Public and Trusted
    - ZoneAlarm -> Tools -> Preserences -> "Reset to Default"

Am running out of ideas now :/ Someone please help me out on this.

Hi;
    It sounds like possibly a Corrupted DATA configuration?

Here is my suggestions..

1.) try Resetting your Data Base and any Corrupted AV Data..

Bring up ZA main page and Click "TOOLS"
    click "Preferences"
    Click "Reset to Default"
    a window will popup to confirm you want to Reset..
    Check the Box that says Also Reset AV data to Default..
    Click OK..
    Reboot computer and try to Update Now again..
    should look something like this..

Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1261987968
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 24th, 2017 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Hi;
    It sounds like possibly a Corrupted DATA configuration?

Here is my suggestions..

1.) try Resetting your Data Base and any Corrupted AV Data..

Bring up ZA main page and Click "TOOLS"
    click "Preferences"
    Click "Reset to Default"
    a window will popup to confirm you want to Reset..
    Check the Box that says Also Reset AV data to Default..
    Click OK..
    Reboot computer and try to Update Now again..
    should look something like this..

Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1261987968
    I am experiencing this same problem. However, before doing the "Reset to Default" it would be very helpful to know everything this will reset. For example, over the years I must have over a hundred custom program application controls setup. Will I lose all of these and then after the reboot will ZoneAlarm default back to SmartDefense and therefore probably start giving many programs internet access which I had manually blocked??? This is just one example. It is important to know what the "Reset to Default" will actually reset. Thank you!

It will wipe all of your custom settings and go back as was first installed.
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 24x6 Pacific time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    It will wipe all of your custom settings and go back as was first installed.
    Fax
    Thanks for this info. Before resorting to such an extreme measure, I dedided to delete everything in C:\ProgramData\CheckPoint\ZoneAlarm\Logs (this is on Windows 10 - not sure if it's different on other systems). After a shutdown and restart, I was finally able to update virus definitions for the first time in 5 days without it either just perpetually never finishing or ending in an error. I have no way of knowing if this was just a coincidence (although it would be a BIG one) but for anyone else having this problem, I'd say it's worth a try rather than having to completely redo all of your custom settings after trying the preferences reset method.

P.S. I've seen multiple posts here in these forums and elsewhere on the web about definition update problem that have be occuring for YEARS!!! That makes it extremely disappointing that ZoneAlarm hasn't simply done like several other companies and provided a method to download the def file directly from its website (or some other secure provider) so users could manually update. Between this problem and the fact that the government has banned Kaspersky products (which is actually the source of the antivirus built into ZoneAlarm) it's making me seriously reconsider whether or not to stick with ZA. In fact, now that I think about it, if they don't do something to improve the whole AV situation, I will move on to another brand when the renewals come up for my family and my small business.

Normally removing logs should be uninfluential on AV updates. May be just a coincidence, anyway good you don't experience anymore the issue.

On Kaspersky: always useful to hear of all parties before taking a decision.
    https://eugene.kaspersky.com/2017/10...e-proud-of-it/

Finally, please note that we are all users here, ZA support does not monitor this forum systematically. With the free version you are not entitled to contact official support. Otherwise, with a valid license you can contact, free of charge, the ZA technical support at the link in my signature which is the same link posted at the top of this forum.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; October 7th, 2017 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Normally removing logs should be uninfluential on AV updates. May be just a coincidence, anyway good you don't experience anymore the issue.

On Kaspersky: always useful to hear of all parties before taking a decision.
    https://eugene.kaspersky.com/2017/10...e-proud-of-it/

Finally, please note that we are all users here, ZA support does not monitor this forum systematically. With the free version you are not entitled to contact official support. Otherwise, with a valid license you can contact, free of charge, the ZA technical support at the link in my signature which is the same link posted at the top of this forum.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Yes, as of yesterday and today it is back to either sitting perpetually unfinished or eventually giving an error and failing to update the AV defs. Apparently deleting the logs was just a coincidence.

Although I agree it is useful to hear from other parties prior to making a final decision, OBVIOUSLY Kaspersky is going to say they aren't doing anything wrong!!! However, beyond just the government, I've read about many other major companies and organizations who have also come to their own decision to drop Kaspersky as well. That coupled with the fact of ongoing problems myself and others have experienced for several years now with getting reliable and timely updates from Kaspersky equals a serious problem. At the very least, ZoneAlarm should stop relying on Kaspersky's unreliable update servers (which even when updates do complete are still often very slow) and host the update files themselves.

And yes, I realize this is primarily a user forum but, nevertheless, it is officially hosted on ZoneAlarm.com and if their corporate attitude is that they don't care about the problems users are posting about their products then I don't believe such a company deserves any loyalty. There are many other companies which DO participate in their user forums and, indeed, there are even companies which read and respond to users elsewhere which aren't even posted on their own website. I'm not even sure why you're making excuses for them unless you're just a corporate shill. Regardless, if ZoneAlarm can't be bothered to participate in this forum and can't be bothered to take responsibility for THEIR choice to continue using Kaspersky despite years of ongoing problems then I can't be bothered to spend any more money on their products for myself, my small business, or to recommend them to anyone.

I understand your frustration and the need to vent your unhappiness about the situation including corporate policies. Unfortunately we cannot really help more here.

It seems a rather local problem as otherwise we would see here a flood of complaints (Internet connection? ISP? Specific incompatibility with the software running on the system used?). Really impossible to say without been in front of your PC.

If you have already tried the troubleshooting steps suggested above and ZA still do not operate correctly then I would personally not spend more time in troubleshooting and rather make a better use of your time in looking for another free security solution which work well with your system.There a plenty of choices out there, just google and you will be offered some alternatives.

Thread Information